Cranbrook, BC (May 6, 2020) - More people are home during the COVID-19 pandemic and getting distracted with doing homeschooling or working from home. They are trying to multitask and possibly cooking more meals than they usually do.
The kitchen is the most common location for fires to start in a home and unattended cooking is the number one reason fires start there. Cranbrook Fire & Emergency Services wants to remind residents to be mindful and fire safe when cooking.
Follow these tips.
- Keep an eye on what you fry. Most cooking fires start when someone is frying food
- Watch what you are cooking. Fires start when the heat is too high. If you see any smoke or the grease starts to boil, turn the burner off
- Make sure you are awake and alert while cooking. Alcohol and some drugs can make you sleepy
- Wear short sleeves or roll them up so they do not catch on fire
- Make sure children and pets stay at least 1 metre away from a hot stove
- Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so no one can bump them or pull them over
- Keep things that can catch fire, like oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, away from the stove
- Never pour water on a cooking pan grease fire! Smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turn off the stove
Keeping these things in mind and making them a normal habit when you are in the kitchen can go a long way to ensuring a safe and fire safe kitchen.
If you have questions, please contact Cranbrook Fire & Emergency Services at 250-426-2325.