Updated: Wednesday May 27, 2020
Reception areas at City Hall, Building and Bylaw Services and Public Works will open to the public on Monday June 1, 2020. The Cranbrook Fire Hall, Western Financial Place, the aquatic centre, the Memorial and Kinsmen arenas and the Cranbrook Public Library remain closed to public access until at least July 2020. The Library is currently allowing curbside pickup of books and other materials.
Every effort is being undertaken to ensure the health and safety of our staff and the public. The City is aligning our services and how we conduct business with the requirements provided by WorkSafeBC. Our customers are strongly encouraged to continue to access City information and services by phone or by email wherever possible.
Customers who require a visit to any of our office facilities must understand and obey the following guidelines:
- If you have underlying medical conditions, it is recommended that you do not visit our municipal hall or facilities.
- Anyone displaying symptoms of COVID-19, which primarily displays as a persistent cough, will not be permitted on the premises. If you are sick, please stay home.
- If you have travelled outside Canada, you are not permitted on our premises until you have self-isolated for a minimum of 14 days.
- If you are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or you live in a household where someone is showing symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home.
- Physical distancing is always required (minimum of 2 meters).
- Failure to observe physical distancing risks the closure of the facility, and as such, you will be asked to leave the premises.
- Washrooms on the premises are disinfected frequently and hand sanitizers are available.
- We ask that any financial transactions be conducted electronically and not in cash.
Our reception areas now have plexiglass barriers in place, with hand sanitizer available. Customers coming to City Hall will be greeted outside the building and will be allowed into the main reception area at a maximum of 2 people at a time. If you appear to display sickness, you will be asked to leave and instead contact us by phone or email so we can assist you.
Staff will continue to respond to public inquiries and requests by both phone and email:
- General Inquiries: 311
- Payments, Utilities & Property Taxes: 250-489-0233
- Recreational Services: 250-489-0220 or 250-489-0221
- Public Works: 250-489-0218
- Building Inspections: 250-489-0207
- Cemetery Information: 250-489-0230
- Bylaw Services: 250-489-0263
- Fire & Emergency Services: 250-426-2325
(non-emergency only, otherwise call 911)
Latest City COVID-19 Related News
- Mount Baker RV Park to Reopen to Guests Starting June 1 (May 29, 2020)
- City of Cranbrook Announces Restart Second Phase For May 29; City Hall to Reopen June 1 (May 27, 2020)
- Businesses & Property Owners Encouraged to Flush Water Lines Ahead of Reopening (May 21, 2020)
- City Announces Restart of Some Outdoor Spaces Starting Wednesday May 20 (May 15, 2020)
- Council Reviews Extension Of 2020 Property Tax Penalty Deadline for Business to October 1st (April 30, 2020)
- Council Endorses Plan to Defer More Than $7.3 Million In Projects In 2020 (April 29, 2020)
- Council Approves Waiving of Some Monthly Downtown Parking Fees Until End of June - April 28, 2020
- Free Transit In Cranbrook Extended To May 31 - April 28, 2020
- Alberta Outbreak May Affect Workers In Interior Health Region (Interior Health release) - April 18, 2020
- City Encourages Continued Community Support After First Local COVID-19 Case Confirmed (April 17, 2020)
- People Still Visiting and Congregating in Spaces Closed by City in Response To COVID-19 Concerns (April 9, 2020)
- Working Hard to Support Our Community During This Pandemic: Statement from Mayor Pratt (April 7, 2020)
- Council Approves Two Month Extension for City Utility Customers to Make Payment for Services (April 7, 2020)
- City Reminds Residents Garbage Must Be Properly Bagged in Order to Be Safely Collected (April 6, 2020)
- City Changes Pedestrian Walk Signals to Automatic Settings in Response To COVID-19 (April 6, 2020)
- City Continues to Support & Monitor Provincial Orders Around Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic (April 3, 2020)
- Mount Baker RV Park To Not Open As Scheduled April 1st (March 30, 2020)
- Household Garbage Must Be Properly Contained In Order To Be Safely Collected (March 25, 2020)
- Playground Structures, Play Courts & Other Outdoor Rec Spaces Closed Immediately (March 24, 2020)
- Please Practice Social Distancing & Help Curb The Spread of COVID-19 (March 23, 2020)
- Free Transit In Cranbrook For Month of April (March 20, 2020)
- All Organized Spring Sports Leagues and Events Cancelled Amid Current COVID-19 Outbreak (March 19, 2020)
- Local Business Support & Stimulus Behind Creation of Joint Economic Resiliency Task Force (March 19, 2020)
- All City Offices Closed To Public Effective Thursday March 19 (March 18, 2020)
- Aquatic Centre, All City Arenas and the Cranbrook Public Library Closed Effective Immediately (March 16, 2020)
- All Swimming Lessons At WFP Cancelled Effective Monday March 16 (March 13, 2020)
- City Actively Monitoring COVID-19 Developments (March 13, 2020)
Regional COVID-19 Snapshots
(courtesy of the Regional District of East Kootenay)
Older Regional Snapshots
The monitoring of, and response to, COVID-19 is being led by local, provincial and federal health authorities (not local government). It is important to make sure we rely on facts and have strong sources of information in our arsenal.
Key Information & Links
- Small Business BC (providing support for small business with information around available programs from the provincial and federal governments).
- COVID-19 Information Line **FOR NON-HEALTH INFORMATION** - 1- 888-COVID19 (1-888-268-4319).
The line is open seven days a week, from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. PST.
- 811 - dial 811 for health-related information on COVID19
- COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool - use this simple online tool to complete a self-assessment if you have symptoms of COVID19 or are wondering if you should be tested.
- BC Centre for Disease Control Latest Updates - an excellent resource. Bookmark and use this site.
- Government of Canada - includes links to latest statistics, travel info and economic and financial supports available through the Federal Government.
- Province of BC Information Hub - includes links to Provincial supports for non-health information (childcare, travel advisories, employee/employer resources).
- Interior Health Latest Updates
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Public Health Agency of Canada Information Line - 1-833-784-4397.