Apply for

Owner's Authorization Form*
* Please note this form applies to all permit applications

Owner's Acknowledgement of Responsibility and Undertakings*
*This form MUST be submitted prior to the issuance of a Building Permit.

Board of Variance - Minor Variance Application

Building Permit Application Guide
Building Permit Fees
Building Permit Application - Standard Building
Building Permit Application - Complex Building

2018 Notable Building Code Requirements
PlotPlan (included with above Building Permit Application)
Asbestos: Be Aware (WorksafeBC)

Business License Application

Commemorative Park Furniture Donation Agreement

Delegation Request Form

Demolition Application Form
Asbestos: Be Aware (WorksafeBC)

Donation Receipt - Pickleball Courts

Development Permit Application
Note: A site profile is also required and may be obtained here.

Downtown Revitalization Tax Exemption Certificate Application
Downtown Revitalization Tax Exemption Program Bylaw 3746, 2012

Downtown Seasonal Patio Permit Application
Downtown Seasonal Patio Guide

Fireworks Permit Application

Freedom of Information Access Request

Grants to Non-Profit Organizations Application
Grants to Non-Profit Organizations - Final Report
** Please also review our Municipal Grants page for more information.

Leisure Services Access Card Program Brochure

Notice of Claim Form
**Please also review our Claims & Risk Management page for more information.

OCP Zoning Amendment Application
OCP Amendment Guide

Permissive Tax Exemption Application
** Please also review our Municipal Grants page for more information.

Plumbing Permit Application

Plumbing Test Certificate

Residential Parking Permit Application

Sign Permit Application
Owner's Authorization Form

Guide To Special Event & Road Occupancy Permits
Special Event Permit Application
Road Occupancy Permit

Outdoor Water Use Exception Permit

Solid Fuel Burning Appliance Application
Wood Burning Appliance - Information Sheet

Strata Title Conversion Application
Strata Title Conversion Guidelines

Subdivision Application Form
Subdivision Application Checklist

Trees For Life Program Information & Application

Volunteer Application Form

Waste Collection Exemption for Medical Reasons Application

    • Department Overview

      Bylaw Services, which falls under Engineering & Development Services is responsible with animal control, bylaw enforcement and complaints and the issuing of business license permits and renewals through business licensing and permits.  The City currently employs two staff who oversees this department.

      See Bylaws for information on all City of Cranbrook bylaws.  Also see eForms for many City related forms, applications and information packages. 

      If you have specific questions regarding Bylaw Services please use any of the links above, see our Contact page or call 250-489-9598.

    • How do I claim my pet from the SPCA?

      Animals are taken to the East Kootenay SPCA and can be claimed after impound fees are paid at City Hall.

      Animals still unclaimed after 5 days are transferred to the care of the East Kootenay SPCA.

      To find out if your pet has been picked up and is at the SPCA, see our Notice of Impoundment page.

      For more information about our Animal Control services, licensing and fees, see our Animal Control page.

      Contact Information:

      BC SPCA East Kootenay - (250) 426-6751
      City Hall - 311

    • What does the City do around animal control and impoundment?

      Bylaw Services Officers patrol for dogs at large, respond to animal nuisance complaints and administer the City's dog licensing requirements. Bylaw services does not deal with deer, skunks, raccoons, or other wildlife.

      The purpose of this program is to promote responsible pet ownership and care within the City while maintaining public peace through public awareness programs, regulation, licensing and enforcement to address animal nuisances.

      Please see our Animal Control / Bylaw Enforcement & Complaints page for more information.

    • How do I pay for parking at the airport?

      There are two pre-pay parking machines at the airport: one is located in front of the Air Terminal Building, and the other is located inside the departure doors. Simply enter your licence plate number, enter your payment, and select the amount of time you will be parked. A receipt is generated for your records only. The machines accept coins and credit cards. The machines do not accept bills or provide change. You can also pay for parking in the airport administration office using cash, credit or debit. The office is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday.

    • Who should I contact about lost baggage?

      Please contact the airline directly. Air Canada Express: 1-866-222-6688; Pacific Coastal Airlines: 250-489-5542.

    • Who should I contact about a lost and found item?

      If you believe you lost your item on the aircraft, please contact the airline directly. Otherwise please call the airport administration office at 250-426-7913.

    • Who should I contact to confirm my flight?

      Please contact the airline directly. Air Canada Express: 1-866-222-6688; Pacific Coastal Airlines: 250-489-5542.

    • Where can I find out about what I am allowed/not allowed to take on the aircraft?

      The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) has a list of prohibited items available here: In addition you could contact your airline directly to discuss the item with them. Air Canada Express: 1-866-222-6688; Pacific Coastal Airlines: 250-489-5542.

    • Can I fly with my bicycle?

      Flying with a bicycle is easy. Pacific Coastal Airlines charges a fixed fee for bicycles at $78.75 per direction. The bicycle and shipping container must not exceed 70 lbs. For more information on travelling with equipment on Pacific Coastal, please visit --

      Air Canada charges a $50 fee to fly with your bicycle when it's included as one of your pieces of checked baggage.

    • Where can I pay a parking violation?

      Please call or stop by the airport administration office. We accept debit, credit, cash or cheque. Payments are also accepted at Cranbrook City Hall.

      For more information about the Canadian Rockies International Airport, please use the link, see our Contact page or call 250-426-7913.

    • Overview

      The CAO Office is the primary communications link between City Council, staff and the community and exercises general management of the administration of our local government.

      The office is also responsible for Council meetings, some Committee meetings, agendas, minutes and bylaws.

    • How do I apply to appear before Council as a delegation?

      Delegation Request Forms are available by using the link provided or by visiting City Hall.

      In order to be considered to appear before Council as a delegation, a written submission on this form must be received by the CAO office. Delegation presentations to Council are limited to ten minutes in length. Submission of an application is not a guarantee that the request will be approved. Once submitted, the request is reviewed for content, and the requester is advised.

    • How do I submit correspondence that I wish to be considered by Council at a Council meeting?

      Correspondence that you wish to be considered by Council at a Council meeting should be clearly addressed to Mayor and Council and can be delivered to City Hall, 40 – 10th Avenue South, Cranbrook, BC V1C 2M8 or sent by e-mail to [email protected].

      Not all correspondence submitted will necessarily be received at a Council meeting. The correspondence is reviewed for content and will either be distributed to all members of Council for their review, or it will be included in the Council agenda to be officially received by Council at a meeting. If the correspondence is of a date sensitive nature, the letter MUST be submitted on the Monday PRIOR to the Council meeting in order for staff to be able to review.

    • How often and when does Council meet?

      Regular Council meetings are generally held twice a month; however, in the summer months of July and September, and in the month of December, Council meets monthly. There is no Council meeting in August. Regular Council meetings are held on Mondays and begin at 6:00 p.m. MT. If there are bylaws requiring submission for a Public Hearing -- those meetings are held during the regular Council meetings at 6:00pm.

      The public is welcome to attend all regular and special meetings; however, there is no opportunity for input or to ask questions of Council during the meeting.

      The upcoming Council Meeting Dates for the current year are available by using the link provided or by calling City Hall at 250-426-4211.

      The public can also access Council meeting agendas, minutes, full Council packages and City bylaws by using the links provided.

    • How do I submit a Freedom of Information request?

      The Freedom of Information Access Request Form is available for download using the link provided or can be picked up at City Hall.

      The request form should be completed and delivered to the CAO office at Cranbrook City Hall, 40 – 10th Avenue South. The City cannot accept verbal requests under Freedom of Information. Please be aware there may be costs associated in providing the information requested.

    • Where can I find application forms?

      See eForms for many City related forms, applications and information packages. Also see Bylaws for information on all City of Cranbrook bylaws.

      If you have specific questions regarding the CAO Office please use the link, see our Contact page or call City Hall at 250-426-4211.

    • Department Overview

      Economic Development info page.

    • What land use applications might be required to develop a property in the City?

      Rezoning and/or OCP amendment – If the property is already zoned for the proposed use then a development permit may be required. To see if a zoning amendment is required, please contact one of our planners by calling 311. Also see Zoning Bylaw for a complete listing of regulations and maps.

      Development Permit – The City has a number of development permit areas outlined in the City’s Official Community Plan (OCP). You may be required to apply for one or more development permits prior to proceeding with a development. Use these links to see the Development Permit Area requirements in the City’s Official Community Plan (OCP) and see our Development Permit Area maps: Schedule C1; Schedule C2; Schedule C3. Prior to making any applications it is advisable to arrange a pre-application meeting with one of our planners by calling 311.

    • How do I apply for a building permit?

      Building Permit – For information on building permits and requirements, see our Guide to Building Permits. To determine what is involved with a building permit, please see Engineering & Development Services, see their Contact page or call 250-489-4211.

    • Department Overview

      Engineering & Development Services (E&DS), created in 2016 is responsible for the City's overall asset management. The Director of Engineering & Development Services and staff undertake all of the water quality and planning related activities required to look after the City’s water and sewer system and watershed.    This department also maintains the City’s GIS and mapping services and looks after project management for major municipal related construction projects and infrastructure work including capital roads planning and construction oversight.

      The E&DS department monitors the quality of the water collected at two separate surface watersheds. Instrumentation installed in the Gold Creek and Joseph Creek watersheds and at a diversion structure south of the City’s Phillips Reservoir provides continuous on-line monitoring of surface water quality and flows from these valuable water sources.  The equipment also monitors the apportionment of surface waters directed into the reservoir and into Joseph Creek that flows through Cranbrook.  The monitoring equipment measures conductivity, turbidity and temperature from each of the two watersheds and records flow from the Gold Creek pipeline. 

      The E&DS also monitors and manages the planning and operations of the spray irrigation property.

      Day to day operations, maintenance and repairs to the City’s water and sewer infrastructure is the responsibility of Public Works.

      If you have specific questions regarding Infrastructure Planning & Delivery, see our Contact page or call 250-489-0240.

    • How can I claim my Home Owner Grant? Do I have to claim it every year?

      You can claim your Home Owner Grant by submitting the signed application directly to City Hall (fill out and sign the application that is at the bottom of your property tax notice). You can also claim your Home Owner Grant online by using the link provided and using your Roll Number and password which are located on the top left of your property tax notice underneath the address portion. You are eligible for the Home Owner Grant as long as the home is your principal residence and you are on title. The Home Owner Grant must be claimed every year.

    • When do property tax notices get sent out? When are they due?

      Your annual property tax notice is mailed out around the middle of May and is due the first business day in July of each year.

    • How much is my water, sewer, and garbage utility bill? How often are they sent out?

      Utilities are billed bi-monthly (every 2 months) and are a flat rate for residential users. Commercial users are billed based on square footage or on consumption measured by a water meter. The City does not currently offer water meters for residential users.

    • How can I make payments to the City? Can I pay with a credit card?

      Payments can be made by cash, cheque, debit or online. Credit card payments are not accepted. The City would pay fees on any credit card transactions and these fees would have to be passed on to taxpayers.

      Payment of utility bills online must be set up using an 8 digit account number through your online bank account. If your utility account number is 4 digits, add 4 zeros to the beginning of the account number (i.e. for account #1234, use 00001234). If your utility account number is 2 digits, add 6 zeros to the beginning of the account number (i.e. for account #12, use 00000012).

      Payment of property taxes online must be set up using your Roll Number (found on your property tax notice). If your Roll Number is less than 8 digits, add zeros to the beginning of the Roll Number as described above.

      Payment of business licenses online is available only through BMO, TD Canada Trust and National Bank of Canada. It is set up using your Account Number (found on your annual renewal statement). If your Account Number is less than 8 digits, add zeros to the beginning of the Account Number as described above.

    • I’m buying or selling a property. How do I update my utility and property tax accounts to reflect this information?

      Once the ownership change takes effect through the BC Land Titles Office, this information is fed into our system via a download and the utility and property tax account information is updated.

    • What do I need to get a Senior’s Parking Permit? Where can the parking permit be used?

      Senior’s Parking Permits are available to individuals over the age of 65. You must be the registered owner of the vehicle to qualify. To apply for a Senior Parking Permit, you will need your driver’s license and vehicle registration. The parking permit can be used for downtown parking only. It cannot be used at the airport or the hospital.

    • When is the Mt. Baker RV Park campground open? Where can I make reservations?

      The campground is open April 1 – October 31 of each year. Reservations can be made online at or by calling (250) 489-0056.

    • What is the Watering Schedule?

      Even numbered properties can water on Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Odd numbered properties can water on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. No one waters on Wednesdays. Watering times are 4am – 11am and 7pm – 11pm.

      Click here for more information about Water Conservation and the current Water Schedule.

    • I no longer have my dog. What should I do with the dog tag?

      If you no longer have your dog, you should contact City Hall to have your dog license account inactivated. This will prevent you from receiving dog license renewal letters. The dog tag can be discarded.

      For active dog license accounts, please contact City Hall at (250) 489-0233 with any address or phone number changes. This ensures that the information on file is correct in the event your dog is lost and needs to be returned home.

    • Where can I buy transit passes?

      Transit passes are available at City Hall, Western Financial Place and the Greyhound Bus Depot. There are different fares for Adults, Seniors, and Students. Tickets are available as Day Passes, Monthly Passes, Semester Passes (for Mount Baker High School students), and books of 10 tickets.

    • When an emergency vehicle is approaching that is displaying lights and sirens, what should I do?

      Please pull to the right and stop. This will allow fire apparatus or other emergency vehicles adequate and clear lanes to safely and quickly continue its response.

    • Is it ok to drive over a fire hose at any time?

      According to both the BC Motor Vehicle Act – Chapter 318; Part 3; Section 199 and the City of Cranbrook Fire Services Bylaw No. 3676, 2010 Section 4; Part 4.5 Driving Over Equipment – ‘no person may drive over a fire hose or other equipment of the Fire & Emergency Services unless instructed to do so by the member of the fire department or a peace officer’. This offence carries a fine.

      Driving over a fire hose during a fire can cause damage to the hose causing interruption of water flow to the scene which can delay rescue efforts and put the public and firefighters at risk.

    • Why does the emergency equipment run with lights and sirens then just turn them off?

      On occasion, the fire engine and ambulance will be driving with lights and sirens and then suddenly turn them off – perhaps only to turn into a shopping centre parking lot or side street. Be assured that when this happens it means we have received information through our 9-1-1 dispatchers that the caller or incident is no longer a dire emergency. It is what we call “being cancelled.” Any or all of the apparatus may continue to drive to the call or perhaps some will return to the fire hall, but we do not do it just to get to the store faster. “We promise!”

    • What type of fire extinguisher is best for my home?

      A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home. Look for the rating to be at least 2A:10B:C on the label. The extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home. It will often be labeled A-B-C and may be located at many retail establishments.

    • Where should I install my portable fire extinguisher?

      Extinguishers should be located in a convenient, visible and easily accessible location. Place them in areas that contain potential fire hazards such as kitchens (not too close to stove), workshop, garage and basement.

    • Why do you send a fire engine when I called for an ambulance?

      All Cranbrook Fire & Emergency Services fire fighters are trained in First Responder. During a medical emergency, minutes in fact seconds count. The response of the closest fire engine to your emergency brings trained firefighters to your home or office within minutes. Emergency lifesaving equipment such as oxygen, defibrillator and other medical equipment are carried on the fire engine for use by these trained firefighters. It is necessary to have more than two people perform certain treatments such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation while moving a patient. At traffic accidents the fire engine personnel keep the area safe if there are fuel spills, fire and extricating the person from the wreckage.

    • Why do we break windows and doors or put holes in your roof?

      Fire produces smoke, hot gases, as well as temperatures over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit. At times, it is necessary to eliminate heat, smoke and hot gases before firefighters can enter to extinguish the fire. The ventilation must be done quickly to help reduce fire spread and smoke damage. Often, walls must be forcibly opened to check for “hidden fire.” After the fire is extinguished, the damage may appear unnecessary; however, without the use of these firefighting techniques, complete fire suppression and overall damage control is extremely difficult and dangerous for your fire personnel.

    • Where should I install a carbon monoxide detector?

      Install CO alarms that have a label of a recognized testing laboratory and note the date of expiration (usually 10 years) and be sure to install a CO alarm outside of each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement.

      Test your CO alarms at least once a month and replace alarms according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

      If the CO alarm sounds move outdoors or by an open door or window or door. Call 9-1-1 from this fresh air location and remain there until personnel arrive to help you. For more information please visit

    • How often should I change my smoke alarm battery?

      You should change your smoke alarm battery twice per year. A good reminder is to change your battery when you change your clock for the time change.

    • Where should smoke alarms be placed in my home?

      Residential smoke detectors are early warning devices to wake a sleeping person, and should be placed in each bedroom (sleeping area) and in the hallway leading to the bedrooms. As well, smoke alarms should be located on each floor level and must be interconnected.

    • Are all bedrooms required to have a window?

      The BC Building Code generally requires every bedroom in a dwelling to have an outside window that can be used as an emergency exit. The window opening must be at least .35 meters squared with no dimension less than 380 millimeters.

    • Can I burn my yard debris or have a campfire?

      Burning of yard debris is prohibited. Open air burning is restricted to burning of land clearing debris between November 1st and April 30th. A permit is required and a number of conditions apply to burning of land clearing debris.

      Cooking and campfires in open air are permitted within acceptable fire pits, chimneys and approved stoves. See Cranbrook Fire & Emergency website for Land Clearing Debris Permit and cooking campfire conditions and information.

    • Are fireworks allowed in Cranbrook?

      No persons shall store, sell, possess or discharge Low Hazard fireworks anywhere in the City. The possession and discharge of fireworks are limited to Display Fireworks by a qualified person and provided a valid permit is first obtained from the Director of Fire & Emergency Services. See the Fireworks Permit Application & Conditions and Requirements by using the link provided.

    • Why are the tops of fire hydrants painted different colours?

      The Fire Service has recognized color codes that identify various flow rates of fire hydrants.  The distinct color code assists fire fighters in tactical planning and decision making when responding to fire incidents.

    • Does the fire department have regulations determining when I can use my wood burning appliance?

      The fire department does not regulate when you can use your wood burning appliance, however, we recommend that you attempt to limit burning times to when the venting index is good or fair. This practice will prevent discomfort or inconvenience to neighbours who may be affected by combustion bi-products when a weather inversion is occurring.  The Fire Services Bylaw does however limit burning materials for wood burning appliances to seasoned firewood and clear construction material.

      For more information about the venting index, please bookmark which is updated daily, or by calling the Cranbrook Fire Hall at 250-426-2325.

    • In Case of Emergency

      Click here for Emergency Contact Information.

      If you have specific questions for Fire & Emergency Services please use the link, see our Contact page or call 250-426-2325.

    • Why does the Fire Department wash its vehicles and equipment on Wednesdays?

      Typically we restrict washing of vehicles on Wednesdays to apparatus that have returned to the station and been subjected to elements that can affect reliability or performance.  Today’s fire apparatus are comprised of controls, sensors and equipment that can be adversely affected by environmental elements such as roadway dirt, salt, etc.  To ensure the apparatus is maintained in a state of reliability and readiness they are washed when there is evidence of dirt or other elements that we feel may negatively affect the operation of the equipment. 

      Staff are conscious of the Wednesday watering restrictions, and as a result, only wash the vehicles on this day when they feel it is an operational necessity.

    • Where are the City of Cranbrook job opportunities posted?

      All open Employment Opportunities are posted on the City of Cranbrook website, by using the link provided.

    • How often are job opportunities posted on the City of Cranbrook website?

      Job opportunities are posted on the website on a regular basis, as vacancies arise. It is recommended to check back weekly for new opportunities.

    • What is the difference between an “Open” and a “Closed” competition?

      There are two types of postings:

      • Open Employment Opportunities – These postings are open to all candidates.
      • CUPE 2090 Closed Employment Competitions – These postings are for applicants that are currently employed with the City in a position that falls with the CUPE bargaining unit. If we are unable to find an appropriate internal applicant from this internal competition, the position will usually be posted as an Open Employment Opportunity.
    • How do I apply for a competition?

      Applications for all competitions require a cover letter and resume, and the competition number should be indicated in the subject line of cover letter. Applications can be submitted for employment competitions using three different ways:

      1) E-mail to [email protected] with the resume and cover letter attached in Microsoft Word or Adobe .pdf formats. The competition number should be noted in the subject of the e-mail.

      2) By regular mail to Human Resources, City of Cranbrook, 40 – 10th Avenue South, Cranbrook, BC, V1C 2M8.

      3) In person to reception at City Hall at 40 – 10th Avenue South, Cranbrook, BC. Applications submitted in person should be dropped off during regular office hours of 8:30am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (except for statutory holidays).

    • Can I apply for more than one position at a time?

      Yes. It is encouraged to submit a separate application, including cover letter and resume, to all competitions that meet your interest and qualifications.

    • The closing date for an open employment opportunity posting has passed, can I still apply?

      You can still submit an application; however your application will be marked as a late submission. Preference will be given to candidates that submitted their cover letter and resume prior to the closing date.

    • How will I know if I am selected for an interview?

      When you are being considered for an interview, you will typically receive either a telephone call or e-mail from a City of Cranbrook representative. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those candidates who have been selected for an interview.

    • Will you contact me even if I don’t get an interview?

      While we appreciate the interest of all applicants in employment with the City of Cranbrook, we will only contact applicants that are selected for an interview.

    • Additional Information

      Please visit our Employment Opportunities page to see if there are any current opportunities that match your skills and interests.

      If you have specific questions regarding employment at the City of Cranbrook please see our Human Resources page, our Contact page or call 250-426-4211.

    • What are the library's hours and where is it located?

      The Cranbrook Public Library is located at 1212 2nd Street North, on the corner of 2nd Street North and Kootenay Street. You can find the Library’s hours, along with a map showing its location, at, or call 250-426-4063 and press 1. The Library is closed all statutory holidays.

    • How can I renew my items?

      There are three ways you can renew items:

      Online: Visit My CPL at You will need your library card number or user name and PIN. In addition to renewing items, you can place holds, check when items are due and update some of your account information online.

      Phone: Phone the Library at 250-426-4063 and have your library card number ready.

      In Person: Drop by the circulation desk at the Library with your library card.

    • Where can I find or change my PIN?

      If you do not know your PIN, visit My CPL at; click to log in and follow the instructions. If you do not have an email address on file, you can call the Library at 250-426-4063. You will need your library card and will be asked a few questions to verify your identity.

    • How can I borrow eBooks?

      Visit Library2go at You will need your library card number to sign in. The Help section includes how-to videos and information on how to download eBooks to a wide range of devices.

    • How can I find out what’s going on at the Library?

      You can visit the Library’s Facebook page,, the Events page on the Library’s website at or by calling 250-426-4063.

    • Department Overview

      Community Services promotes healthy lifestyles through the development of quality parks, trails, facilities, recreation and cultural opportunities for the year round use of our citizens. It is the department’s mission to provide and promote parks, open spaces and leisure programming that will enhance active living and the well-being of individuals and our community.

      Also see eForms for many City related forms, applications and information packages.

      If you have specific questions around Community Services please use the link, see our Contact page or call 250-489-0220.

    • How do I book a birthday party?

      To book a party call Community Services, 250-489-0220. We will provide a time during a Public Swim as well as the Party Room, for your party. Birthday parties at the pool are fun! Price includes access to the party room, swimming admission during public swim hours, and a CJ Express Kid’s pack (Fries, drink and your choice of a hamburger, hotdog or chicken strips.  There is a minimum of 8 children, and the price is $9.50 each.

    • Why does my child have to be 42” to ride the slide at the pool?

      This Safety Rule is mandated by the BC Safety Authority which follows the Amusement Ride Act. Because of the height of the slide we must follow these rules.

    • Why can’t I leave my 6 year old to swim alone?

      The BC Guidelines For Pool Operations put out by the Health Protection Branch, Ministry of Health, states that any child under 7 yrs must by supervised by a parent or guardian.

    • How often are the waves on?

      The waves are run during our public swim times. They run on 15 minute intervals. The lifeguards will cycle the waves through alternating the wave and the slide use.

    • Why do I have to wait until the last day to register my child in the next set of swim lessons?

      When you child is currently registered in a set of lessons the instructor is doing a continuous evaluation on your child’s skill level. By waiting until the last day of lessons you are giving your child optimum learning opportunities within the set of lessons and we can then register your child into the most appropriate level.

    • Who looks after the street lights?

      The City of Cranbrook maintains over 1300 street lights. If you discover a street light out, please report it by calling the Public Works Office at 250-489-0218. Once the report is filed, the repair will be made as soon as possible usually within ten (10) days. BC Hydro also has street lights throughout the City, which are located on wooden poles. The City does not maintain these lights. If you note a street light is out located on a wooden pole, please contact the City. The City will inform BC Hydro who will determine a timeline on the repair.

    • Who looks after the traffic lights?

      The City maintains nine (9) controlled intersections, with the use of traffic lights and one signaled pedestrian crossing.

      The City does not maintain or have any jurisdiction on the five (5) traffic controlled lights on Highway 3. The Ministry of Highways is responsible for all maintenance on these lights. The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) is responsible for maintenance and repair of all railway crossings located in the City.

      If the public has any concerns regarding the City owned and maintained traffic lights, please call the Public Works Office at 250-489-0218.

    • When will my roads be plowed of snow?

      Please see our Snow Removal Information page by using the link provided or call Public Works at 250-489-0218.

    • When will my garbage be collected?

      Please see our Solid Waste Pickup page by using the link provided or call Public Works at 250-489-0218.

    • How do I report potholes?

      Call Public Works to report a pothole at 250-489-0218.

      Also see eForms for many City related forms, applications and information packages.

    • In Case of Emergency

      Click here for Emergency Contact Information.

      If you have specific questions around Public Works please use the link, see our Contact page or call 250-489-0218.

    • What are the current road conditions?

      Information around road closures and conditions is provided to the RCMP by Drive BC or the Alberta Motor Association Road Reports (AMA).

      The RCMP does not necessarily have the latest conditions for a particular travel route. Please use the links provided.

    • I am having Landlord/Tenant issues. Who do I call?

      Landlord and tenants frequently call the RCMP about an issue or dispute. The RCMP does not respond to Landlord / Tenancy issues unless there are criminal acts occurring. The BC Residential Tenancy Branch can assist with these matters.

    • I require a Police Information Check to be done. How do I get one?

      To obtain a PIC or a PIC with Vulnerable Sector, please attend the Cranbrook RCMP Detachment between 8am – 4 pm, Monday to Friday.  Before attending, please ensure you have the following information readily available. This will assist us in helping you process your application in a timely manner.

      Must have
      - 1 piece of current government-issued photo identification &
      - 1 piece of identification verifying Name & DOB
      - Be a resident of the local police service’s jurisdiction
      - Cost for processing your application is $50.00 Cash.  We do not accept debit or credit cards.
      - However, if you are volunteering your time for an organization, please ensure you have a letter from them (on their letterhead) identifying your role so that you will be waived of any fees involved with processing your application.

      Please see additional fees should you be required to do Civil Fingerprints.

      Employment – Vulnerable Sector - Legal Name Change – Record Suspension – USA Entry Waiver
      $50.00 Cash & $25.00 Money Order, payable to:” Receiver General”

      Security Services Licence Application
      $60.00 cash

      Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant Status
      $50.00 Cash

      Vulnerable Sector for Volunteers
      No Fees – MUST provide a Volunteer Letter on requesting agency’s letterhead stating applicants name and description of volunteer position.

      All individuals must provide valid Government Issue photo Identification, eg: Driver’s Licence, Passport, BCID Card & Secondary Government ID, eg: Care Card, Birth Certificate, Firearms Licence
      Civil fingerprinting is available Tuesdays & Thursdays by Appointment Only.  Please Call: 250-489-3471

    • Do I have to call the police when I've been in an accident?

      For all accidents, you are required to exchange information with the other driver by obtaining their name, date of birth, address, phone number and plate information.

      You don't always have to call the police, but there are key situations in which you're required to make a police report like when:

      • there has been a death or someone has been taken to the hospital by ambulance
      • it was a hit-and-run accident
      • someone broke into or vandalized your vehicle, or
      • your vehicle was stolen.

      In addition, a good rule of thumb is to call the police if you think the damage to your vehicle looks like it may be more than $5,000 (or $600 for a motorcycle and $100 for a bicycle). 

      Use the ICBC link provided for information on all aspects of reporting collisions, dealing with violation tickets, licence suspensions, vehicle impounds, etc.

    • I am from out of province and had an accident in your area where the Police did not attend. What do I do?

      If you had an accident in our area where a member did not attend, and are requiring a file number for insurance purposes please see the following:

      • Visit your local police department to provide a written detailed statement of the accident.
      • Fax your statement along with a copy of your DL, vehicle insurance and contact information to 250-417-4211.
      • Once received, we will contact you with an occurence number in which you can provide your insurance company.

    • I would like to report an incident involving property.

      If you are reporting a break and enter, a theft or vandalism in progress, call 9-1-1 when safe to do so and provide as much information as possible to the emergency operator. Police prefer you avoid handling items or walking in or around a crime scene as much as possible.  When reporting other lost / stolen or recovered items, please call the non-emergency line at 250-489-3471.

    • Who do I call to report a receiving a SCAM phone call?

      For information on scams or to report deceptive telemarketing contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online at or toll free at 1-888-495-8501. If you believe you may be the victim of fraud, have given personal or financial information unwittingly, contact your local police service.

    • What is the licencing required for the possession and acquisition of firearms as well as the registration and transportation of various classes of firearms?

      All aspects of licencing and registration of firearms in Canada are handled by the Canadian Firearms Program.

      The following links provide information regarding applications and contacts for general questions:

      General inquiries: 1-800-731-4000 or

    • In Case of Emergency

      Click here for Emergency Contact Information.

      If you have questions specific to the RCMP please use the link, see our Contact page or call 250-489-3471.

    • What is water hardness?

      Water hardness is caused by calcium and magnesium in the ground and surface water. If either of these minerals are present in your drinking water in high concentrations, the water is considered hard. These minerals come from rock such as limestone that dissolves in our river system. The result of hard water is difficulty making lather or suds for washing and a build-up of minerals on taps and other fixtures.

      Water containing low concentrations of calcium or magnesium is called soft water. Municipalities with soft drinking water often have higher incidences of water pipe corrosion (low pH). The degree of hardness in drinking water is commonly classified in terms of its concentration of calcium carbonate.

      Also see our Water Quality webpage for additional information.

    • Are there health issues with water hardness?

      There are no known health effects associated with calcium and magnesium minerals in drinking water. However, conventional water softening systems (those that use salts) may not be suitable for people on sodium-reduced diets.

      We recommend that consumers thoroughly research the various water softener systems available before deciding whether or not to soften their water. Also, water softeners should be connected so that the water you are drinking is not softened.

    • Can water hardness affect dishwashers and washing machines?

      Hard water can reduce the effectiveness of detergent. Hard water may also cause automatic dishwashers or washing machines to leave film on dishes or leave residue on clothing, and can also cause mineral build-up on mechanical parts.

      The easiest solution to hard water problems is to increase the amount of detergent used in proportion to the degree of water hardness. Check with your appliance user manual or the manufacturer for instructions.

    • How do water softeners work?

      Water softeners replace the non-toxic hard minerals with sodium or potassium. The amounts added are relatively insignificant compared to what you ingest from your food. They should not pose health problems, unless you are on a salt-reduced diet.

      Most water softeners regenerate with salt and water. Regeneration is a process where the softening materials (called resins) inside the softener can be used over and over again. Once regeneration is completed, the salt and water solution is flushed into the sewer and into the environment. A correctly operating water softener will use salt and water efficiently, saving you money while reducing the impact on the environment.

    • Production Wells: Did You Know?

      The City of Cranbrook uses groundwater wells to augment the drinking water supply.  The City has 3 deep production wells that are crucial assets to the City’s drinking water infrastructure.  Water from these wells comes from water aquifers deep below the surface of the ground.

      What is a Well?

      Basically, a well is a hole drilled into the ground to access water contained in an aquifer. A pipe and a pump are used to pull water out of the ground, and a screen filters out unwanted particles that could clog the pipe. Wells come in different shapes and sizes, depending on the type of material the well is drilled into and how much water is being pumped out.

      What are Cranbrook’s Wells?

      Cranbrook uses submersible pumps which means the motor and the pump are both under the water.  These pumps are in wells located at the Fire Hall on 2nd Street South, Confederation Park near Elizabeth Lake and also on Cobham Avenue West.  These wells have an average depth of 200 feet, and supply much needed water in the hot and dry summer months.  The average summer supply of water is 700,000 imperial gallons per day.

    • Why does my water have a unusual taste, odour or unpleasant appearance?

      The taste, odour and appearance of your drinking water may vary at different times of the year due to events such as spring runoff, and when temperatures in the distribution system increase from the hot dry summer months. A change in the appearance of your drinking water does not mean it is unsafe to drink.

      Common questions regarding the taste and odour of your water include:

      Why does my water smell musty or have an unusual odour?

      If the musty odours occurs only at one faucet, the odour is related to something at or near the faucet. Try cleaning the drain, this often removes the odours. If the odour is at all faucets than the issue could be from the temperature of the water supply, decomposing organic material in the water and also pipe lining materials.  Please note unusual tastes or odours are aesthetic in nature and do not pose a health risk.  Cranbrook Public Works Utilities Crews ensure there is enough disinfection residual at all ends of the system regularly.

      What should I do if my water tastes stale?

      Drinking water may taste stale if faucets have not been used in recently. Running the cold water tap briefly will allow fresh water from the water main to your tap.

      My water has a milky or cloudy appearance. Should I be concerned?

      Air bubbles in water may cause a milky or cloudy appearance, especially in cold water. These bubbles pose no health risk. Cloudiness appears more often in the winter, when the water is cold. Allowing water to sit will let the air dissipate and the water will clear.

      Why does my water have a yellow or rusty colour?

      Watermain repairs, construction and other work in your area can cause some rust and sediment, which normally stick to the inside of the water main, to break away. Fire hydrant flushing can also cause this inconvenience.

      The discoloured water is safe to drink, but may cause water to appear dirty. If this happens, run a cold water tap to run for ten to twenty minutes to flush your pipes, and do not use your laundry machines until the water clears up. If water will not clear up after flushing for 20 minutes please call 311.

      Why does my toilet have a pink ring around where the water is?

      Each year, a few customers call to ask us about pink stains or residues that occasionally develop in moist areas in their homes. They generally observe this in toilet bowls, around sink and tub drains, on shower curtains or other shower surfaces, and even in pet water dishes.  The customer naturally wants to know if there is something wrong with his/her water.

      No, a pink residue is not a problem with your water quality, and is not harmful in this situation.  It is evidence of bacteria that are common inhabitants of our environment.  The most typical of these bacteria is one known as Serratia marcescens.

      These bacteria come from any of a number of naturally-occurring sources, such as soil, mulch, dust, and surface waters, and they thrive in an environment that is moist and high in phosphates.  More people indicate the problem occurs in the summer months when temperatures and humidity are higher, and especially if windows are kept open for any length of time.

      Serratia will not survive in chlorinated drinking water.  However, where water stands long enough for the residual chlorine disinfectant to dissipate, such as a toilet in a guest bathroom, or on a shower curtain, the pink color may develop.  Customers who remove the chlorine from their water by use of an activated carbon filter may also be more likely to experience the problem.

      Should I be concerned if my water has a chlorine taste or smell?

      We add chlorine to disinfect your water and keep it free from harmful microorganisms. Some conditions, such as spring runoff, affect the quality of the water supply entering Cranbrook.

      During these times, we adjust water treatment, which may include increasing the level of disinfectant, to ensure that your drinking water remains safe. Therefore, you may occasionally notice an increase in the taste and smell of chlorine in your drinking water. If you would like to remove the taste and smell of chlorine, fill a container of water and keep it in the fridge for drinking. Much of the chlorine will dissipate from the water overnight.

    • Additional Information

      For additional information, including details on our Annual Uni-Directional Water Flushing Program, our Raw Water Source, Water Treatment, our Distribution System, and other Reports, please click the links provided.

      If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Public Works department or call 311.

    • How do I apply for a building permit?

      Building Permit –For information on building permits and requirements, see our Guide to Building Permits. To determine what is involved with a building permit, please see Engineering & Development Services, see their Contact page or call 250-489-4211.

  • Contact Us

    Call: 311
    Phone:(250) 426-4211
    Fax:(250) 426-4026
    Toll Free:1-800-728-2726

  • Hours Of Operation (MTZ)

    Monday to Friday – 8:30am to 4:30pm
    Closed Saturday, Sunday & all statutory holidays.

  • Cranbrook City Hall

    40 – 10th Avenue South
    Cranbrook, BC
    V1C 2M8