EVACUATION ALERT - 20:00 September 1, 2017
An Evacuation Alert has been issued by the Regional District of East Kootenay due to wildfire and the potential danger to life and health in the Ft. Steele area as outlined on the map associated with this Alert.
The purpose of this Alert is to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however, you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
It is important to note that the City of Cranbrook is NOT under any evacuation notice.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHILE THE ALERT IS IN EFFECT
While the Evacuation Alert is in place, you should prepare for a possible Evacuation Order by:
• Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a meeting point outside the
evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
• Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (e.g., insurance),
immediate care needs for dependants and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have
these items readily available for quick departure.
• Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
• Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
• Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an Evacuation
Order. If you need transportation assistance from the area please call 250-426-2188.
• Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception
Centres will be opened if required.
• Monitoring news sources for information on Evacuation Orders and locations of Reception
Further information will be issued should the situation change and updates will be provided on the
RDEK website (www.rdek.bc.ca) and Facebook page. For more information contact the Information
Line at 250-426-2188 or long distance at 1-855-346-2188.
If you are not already on the RDEK’s Ft. Steele Area email group and would like to be added for
emergency notifications, email Loree Duczek at [email protected] and put ‘Ft. Steele Area Email
Group’ in the subject line.
THIS IS ONLY AN ALERT MEANT TO HELP YOU PREPARE IN THE EVENT EVACUATION IS
REQUIRED. SHOULD THE SITUATION CHANGE AN EVACUATION ORDER WILL BE ISSUED.